Kicking off The Quest for 366 Beers in 366 Days is one great beer. As a big fan of Lagunitas’ Wheat IPA named A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale, I found the “wild version” had that little sumpin’ that really made it stand out from the rest.
Brewery: Lagunitas Brewing Company
Name: Little Sumpin’ Wild Ale
Style: Belgian India Pale Ale
The label describes it best.
“Net Contents: 12 fluid oz’s…. of hops, malt, hops, hops, yeast, hops, water, and hops.”
Look: Golden yellow (like many IPA’s). Sticky and resinous with a slightly off-white head that sticks to the side of the glass.
Smell: Blend of belgian funk and lemon with a bit of honey on the finish. Super pungent and full hop aroma.
Taste: Starts out really hoppy and citrusy then bam… that Belgian yeast flavor hits. I actually found this nice and balanced even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the other Belgian IPA that I tried which was Stone’s Belgo IPA. The yeastiness was a bit much for me in that one but Lagunitas hit the spot with the amount of flavor from both the hops and the yeast. The finish is earthy and spicy fading into the taste of Belgian’s finest.
Feel: I wouldn’t call this beer dry but it isn’t particularly resinous either. It has just the right amount of sweetness to help counter the heavy-handed hopping, the high gravity and to ensure that it sticks around on your palate long enough to tease you as you anticipate the next sip. It’s definitely a solid beer and a great example of the “Belgian” IPA style.
Philippe Gagnon is the founder and writer for Craft Beer Culture. Currently residing in Orange County, California, you can find him at the local brewery drinking craft beer or online through Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Leave a comment
Follow @CrftBeerCulture on twitter
- I just earned the 'American Craft Beer Week (2013)' badge on @untappd! http://t.co/iHqK3LkSCK #ACBW
- I just earned the 'National Beer Day (2013)' badge on @untappd! http://t.co/cGKwEEc5Mb #NationalBeerDay
- I just earned the 'Pale as the Moon' badge on @untappd! http://t.co/IXUP0PzzYE
- I just earned the 'New Brew Thursday (Level 9)' badge on @untappd! http://t.co/J8LDkCVQay #NewBrewThursday
- Drinking a Sour In The Rye Peach by @thebruery — http://t.co/HIPurazEg2